LEVEL 1 BMBLA: GREAT LEADERSHIP STARTS HERE.
Mountain bike leader award Level1: The aim of this BMBLA award is to up-skill your members of staff or volunteers. Either from a basic level of MTB proficiency or from existing ‘in-house’ training. Level 1 Leader candidates will be trained to standards that will enable them to lead rides at an introductory level on pre-determined routes. Promoting the experience of riding in a safe and enjoyable environment. This remit limits the level of route planning and navigation skills required by the individual. It does however place a greater emphasis on the centre’s standard operating procedures.
If you are interested in Level 1 Accreditation, or are an accredited centre looking to have new Level 1 leaders trained, please contact us for more information.
How do you become an Accredited Centre?
The centre accreditation process is undertaken in partnership with British Cycling and leads to a formal inspection prior to any delivery of leadership training.
Level 1 training
The one day Level 1 training course includes training and assessment of:
- essential leader equipment.
- effective puncture repairs.
- equipment set-up and safety checks.
- fundamental mountain bike techniques.
- bike games.
- techniques for effective group management.
- accident and emergency procedures.
These basic skills will give the leaders all the skills necessary to operate in their specific environment.
There is no formal assessment during this programme. Candidates will be assessment for the award throughout the day. This will enable them to lead rides on remitted routes straight away.
- Riders must be able to ride obstacles requiring only with minor shifts their weight.
- Any route must have only one, single, clear line choice removing dynamic decision making from riders. (If there are two choices then the leader needs to tell or show riders which line to take.)
- Is no more than half an hour’s walk from where an ambulance can get to.
- Is during daylight in normal summer and intermediate seasonal conditions.
We can also include sections of road rides into the training if needed.
If you have any questions about the BMBLA Level 1 award, please contact us.